Thursday, February 17, 2011

To get to the other side...

Today I saw a chicken crossing the road. In that moment, I really wished I had my camera ready, it just seemed something that should be remembered and seen and commemorated. It was like poetry in motion, or cliche joke in motion, but nonetheless it seemed to stand out in my mind. Something in the swirling thoughts and lists of to do's told me it was important to note.

This week has been horrendous. I knew people could be careless with other people's stuff, I knew there would be casualties of renting, but I never expected people to be that careless, and it just never ends. Just at the time that I think I have a grasp of what once was and what is, a new discovery comes along and makes me want to poke people in the eyes.



Note the dirt oh and the huge gaping hole. There is another to match that one. This would be the couch thought to have survived the ordeal, only to find, it hadn't. No sorry, no feeble attempt to make excuses. Nothing. So the tally is, renters: 2 couches, 4 frames and artwork, one bed (maybe 2, haven't been able to observe the extent of the damage.) And a quilt, a throw pillow and possibly a george foreman grill. Oh! and the sellability of my home. Did I tell you they tore out the selves in the computer room and put another guy in there? Did I tell you they didn't ask and used a quilt of mine for a door? Did I tell you they drove nails through that quilt? Did I tell you they had the nerve to look annoyed when we came to rescue all of our stuff. Annoyed! Them? At that moment, I wished I had known karate or was a ninja. I would have ripped the annoyed right off of their face and they would've never known it was me. 

I got a migrane this week, I was literally so angry and full of hate I couldn't see straight.  I didn't think I was, of course, but I don't do migraines so what else could it have been?

While all of this is going on, I am trying to unpack, organize arrange and write a talk. Do you know how hard is to write a talk about Jesus when you are full of anger? It's pretty hard, but I think I am finally making progress.

So yes, things have not been fabulous, but in the end it is just stuff, and in the end these people who have rented my house and wrecked all of my things are lame, but they aren't my kids so I can rest easy and know that my Sam will be poked in the eye by me if he EVER does anything remotely like that. He would at the very least apologize profusely, and hey, maybe this gives me a great excuse to get a new couch for our someday home when that someday comes. That can't be all bad right? I even took all of that pent up aggression and anger and decoupaged the heck out of a Winnie the Pooh calendar.

Take that Pooh bear! And the boy's room looks cute to boot! Other things that have been a bright shining beacon of happiness this week include:






These are quite possibly the cutest PJ's ever on the planet. Or it's the cutest boy ever on the planet totally rocking the pj's. I happen to believe it's a little of both. He looks so well mannered too.




Organizing and having some of my treasures with me has been a happy thing. It feels more like home to me.




 And despite the fact that I am drowning in life this week it hasn't been all bad. There is a thrift store a few blocks from me and it had the cutest little girl clothes and they were 50% off to boot, but it also had a wonderful treasure:





Pigs playing ukulele's in sailor suits, can life get better? I submit that it cannot!




Best salt and pepper shakers ever, aside from my Siamese cats of course.  

I also made the boy a shirt with my new Silhouette machine.  


Droooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooool!




And my bestest friend ever is here visiting me, and it's extra happy because I don't think anyone else will, and we ate pralines and cream blue bell ice cream and watched Twilight with riff trax and hashed out an idea for my talk, which will be likened unto the chicken that crossed the road, because isn't that all any of us want to do really? Get to the other side in one piece or in peace? To get to the other side happy? To get to the other side period? And how do we do that? With faith in Jesus Christ of course. It will make more sense in my talk I promise. Thus we see, even in the worst of weeks, the Lords tender mercies make it OK and all will be well with the world again. Just gotta keep on keepin on.

I am excited to get to the other side of this week. To get to the other side of forgiveness. To get to the other side of my talk. I am excited to be settled.

See you on the other side.

3 comments:

Katie said...

Sorry it's been a rough week! Good luck with your talk. You'll do great!!

Staceygirl said...

That made me angry, and it's not even my stuff! What horrible things to do to your very cute house! I am glad you are feeling better, though.

Wendy Hansen said...

I love your perspective Kell. And don't worry, you aren't the only one with anger issues who would like to gouge someone's eyes out. And I am angry about your furniture too, and the holes in the quilt, what rediculous behavior. And Sammy's baba smile made me smile, so thank you!