Saturday, June 26, 2010

The joy...

At Jill's suggestion I have been reading Sheye Rosemeyer's blog. I started at the beginning and I am now more than halfway through. I started to read it before, before The boy, and I just couldn't do it. It was too hard, now that he is here I find it's still hard but it's a different kind of hard. The one thing I have really pulled from sharing in her experience is just how quickly life can change, how quickly those we love can be gone. How much we take for granted and how very precious our families and this life are.

As a result, I have decided I need to live my life with more joy. I need to stop over thinking things and just enjoy. I want to stop worrying about my weight and my body, I don't want to be scared to wear certain things because of what people might think. I want to make the most out of every moment that I can. I want to fix old hurts and wrongs. I have tried that before and it didn't go well, but it did mean that I tried and I was able to let it go and feel at peace. I don't know. I guess I just want to know that I really did do everything I could have to be the kind of person i really want to be.

I have been so worried about The boy not accepting us, of him not loving us and getting hurt by that. It's scary to adopt because you just don't know if that fact is going to adversely affect them forever or if they are going to be OK with it. Kids can be cruel they say mean things, are people going to say hateful things to him and make him think he should have a problem?

I have decided that I cannot life my life in fear of that either. I can't worry about what other people do. Other people are other people and they do what they do, all I can do is surround that sweet little boy with love and acceptance and pray my guts out that we do a good job, and I think that we will. So I guess, I am trying to let go of the fear, let go of the guilt, let go of the negative. I envision it as thought we all just lug around this weight of guilt and fear and what if's and should have's and all we have to do is let go and move forward in a better way, learning from our mistakes, but then moving forward with love and joy.

So that is my goal to move forward with love and joy. My blog may become a lot more personal, I am not doing this for you, it's mostly for me, and I am allowing you to share in it. Why would I edit it and worry about it? It's easier for me to sit down and type something out than it is to write it out, I am going to try to do that too, but I am just giving fair warning.

Now, I am pretty sure I will still have bad days, and be a grump and a downer at times, but it's about he the journey right? It's about what makes us stronger. So this is my goal.

I have been sick all week and I am happy to report that even with that I wore two skirts and a dress and a pair of shoes that I worried about ruining or people thinking they were weird twice. Granted, I didn't really go anywhere besides my mom's house. (Getting out of the house with a newborn is hard work) but that made it even more a victory for me. I looked nice even when I had no where to go, AND I was sick. *joy* Go me! Men are that they might have joy, it's there for the taking and intend to take some.

I think a big part of joy is gratitude. So I also think this is a challenge for me to just be more grateful for the many blessings I have on a daily basis. Sometimes, when I am in the middle of something hard it's really hard for me to look up and see what I have all around me. We truly are so blessed. I can't believe we got our sweet boy. What a blessing! It's truly a miracle that he came to us. What a blessing indeed.



I think I over process my photos, something else I am learning from Sheye's blog. Hopefully that will get better as I go along too. I promise, full boy blog is on the way.
Peace and love and lots of joy,
Kelly

9 comments:

Jill Ison said...

ahh you got sucked in by sheyes heart felt words... you wont regret it, she is amazing, as are you. I think its great that you wear the things you want to wear! I say never save things for a special occasion, everyday is special if we're with the ones we love!! its the things you enjoy everyday that become your most beloved treasures and those things we save just get dusty. Sam will never reject you guys!! No one rejects a person that shows sincere love and adoration for them. it goes against human nature. this is my theory anyway. Kids are so so mean and thats why we need to instill a health self-esteem in them so it can roll right off their backs. It won't matter what they say because he will know without a shadow of a doubt that he is loved! I'm glad your back to blogging :)

Connie said...

I can understand your feelings about Sam. My Alex is biologically mine, but not my husbands. Alex is almost 7 and doesn't know that yet, and don't think he's quite ready to understand the situation, maybe in a few years. But when he is, I'll tell him something along the lines, that I loved his daddy enough to marry him in the Temple, and that daddy and I loved him enough to take him to the Temple with us to be sealed. I work really hard to make sure my kids understand those eternal principles, so that when it comes time to talk to my boy about our family situation, that he won't doubt that he's loved or that he's going to be with those of us who love him the most, forever. Keep the faith and it will all work out :)

Connie said...

PS, I put my emotions on my blog too, it's the only place I have time to "journal". Let me know if you want an invite - message me your email on Facebook. :)

Katie said...

There are times that I hold back my true emotions on my blog, and others that I just put it out there. I find that regardless people feel they understand--however I only feel they understand when I put it all out.
I look forward to this journey with you. You are amazing and I love reading your stories :)

Staceygirl said...

It's a good goal to have more joy! Sam will love you not because you gave birth to him, but because you gave him love. I sometimes wonder the same things about my step kids. You risk your heart because you're pouring in all this love, but I know all kids appreciate being loved. My goodness, Kelly... you just might worry as much as I do! Do try to enjoy your baby because they grow so fast. He is SO adorable!

Lolo said...

YOU GO KELL!!!! You sound like a mama with all your over thinking, its normal but do enjoy every second of your life. Only Sam can control his feelings and future all you can do is love him, teach him, keep him safe and be the best mom you can be. I was listening to this song the other day it said 'Don't grow up too fast
And don't embrace the past.
This life's too good to last'
Genius!
Give sammy kisses for me!

Jeremy and Cindy said...

I think that the best thing that could have happen to Sam was for you to adopt him. He may wonder at times why he was given up, but with you two as parents he couldn't be better off. We love you guys and know you will do great with him.

Looks like you guys had a great trip. You are an old pro and the traveling with a newborn thing now. Sorry to hear you got sick. Hope you are feeling better soon.

Kevin and Kimberly said...

Every mother worries that she will do something horribly wrong that will mess up her child. Welcome to motherhood! In reality, kids are quite resilient. Thank goodness! The world can be cruel at times, kids do say mean things, and life will be unfair. However, that's where you and Jason's role as parents comes in to play for Sam. You will love him completely, teach him correct principles, and be there to pick up the pieces when your son is hurt or struggling with something. The family, with both a loving mother and a father, is part of Heavenly Father's divine plan. How lucky Sam is to have you and Jason, as many children do not have a father and a mother in the home! You and Jason are so gracious and grateful that Sam will be the same way--he will be grateful to you for adopting him. You two are pouring so much love into Sam that he will never feel that he does not belong. Kids might tease him, but I don't think it will be over being adopted. It will probably be about his values and religion. Sam has such a strong support system that he will be able to handle any situation that he comes across in life. I know my boys will have his back! Just make sure to keep the lines of communication open with Sam as he gets older so that he knows he can always come to you with his concerns. For the time being, just enjoy every moment with that baby because children do get older and there are bigger challenges to face later on. The only worries for now involve sleeping, eating and pooping. You and Jason are doing a wonderful job as parents, and I know you will only continue to be amazing parents!

Wendy Hansen said...

Kell, you are such a sweet, loving attentive, mama. Sam will see that, and know that, and feel that. He is so blessed to have you two as parents. And you are totally right, enjoy the journey. I am truly thankful for every part of my life, even the super ugly parts. It has made me the person I am and led me to things way better than what I could have imagined. And I amy not have appreciated it all so much otherwise. You are a beautiful baby, and a beautiful family, enjoy it!!!