Sunday, June 21, 2009

Determination...

So, back in the day when I was a spry swing dancer we had a group of girls that always talked about getting together and making vintage dresses together. It never really came together, which always made me sad. I unfortunately do not learn from reading very well I need to see how things are done and why, I have never really learned how to sew. I am determined this Summer to come away with some kind of sewing skills. Anyway, I have been looking for inspiration that will help me muddle through the grueling learning process. :) and I have come across some blogs that those of you with a vintage aesthetic may enjoy. Also, I am linking to it because I really want to win the giveaway.
The Mysterious Life of the Metropolitan Housewife: Give Away! Give Away!

So check that out. Also, This lovely lady has some really cute patterns. I want to try the skirt and the parfait dress I think.

I also found this lovely lady. All of these blogs have cool stuff on them like how to add a peter pan collar to things and just wonderfulness. Check it out.

Ok, so I found one more. She actually gets dresses and things from thrift stores and then makes them wonderful. which is super cool, and she has lots of giveaways if that's not incentive I don't know what is.

So, I think I need to just dig in my heels get over my impatience and try to make something. My problem is my peasant shaped body. I have no waist to speak of, so my waist is one size and the rest of my body is another. Any tips on that? I am assuming I get the larger size pattern and then try to size down the other pieces. I don't know, I wish I knew more about sewing. Trial and error I guess.
Hope you guys enjoy.

6 comments:

Valerie said...

good luck!! I have made a few dresses in my day, and my mom is pretty good. I say, you can always take away material, but it is really hard to add it. :-) So I vote bigger size, then taper down. Also, try the dress on frequently and in every stage of making it. It may make for slower going, but you will be happier with the results :-)

Jill Ison said...

kell you can totally learn to sew! its so rewarding. its funny you post this now cuz ive been looking up vintage patterns for 2 days straight on etsy. they have websites dedicated to vintage paterns but i find theyre cheaper on etsy. i checked out every single website you posted. VERY COOL and i checked out the one you left in a comment on my blog... also love it. i love when other people find things for me to get addicted to :)

Jill Ison said...

also if you ever come across a website that sells bags of awesome looking buttons for awesome prices PLEASE send it my way!

Hansen Five said...

Your blog makes me happy!

Wendy Hansen said...

that sounds and looks like so much fun. I am also sewing challenged, so don't feel bad. But you can totally do it, you are amazing and as cute as a button. (a super cool vintage button that is!)

Staceygirl said...

Aren't there any patterns that complement the lack of waistline? I thought the straight down body was all the rage in the 20's. Then again, what do I know about vintage? I'm starting to miss my sewing machine.