Please stay behind that tree!
Is anyone else just sick to death of the heat? I am in a slightly cooler place where it actually cools off at night and I want to cry.
So I found a bunch of these on pinterest.
And I thought, how hard could that be? Plus, added bonus, I won't have to sit with a hair dryer or something hot, I have the power of the SUN!
Problem is, I really underestimated the power of the sun, or I over estimated the how much it would take to melt a crayon.
I learned long ago from a hard hitting and controversial science fair project that different colored crayons melt at different heats so I expected to see some drippy awesomeness in my little project. Silly me.
VAPORIZED!
You see, when it's the basically as hot as hades, melting temps really don't matter. Add in the fact, that I stupidly stuck the thing in my car to "speed the process" and this is what you get. I left it out there for two hours. O_o I blame pregnancy brain. Seriously, what was I thinking. Either way, it's kind of nice right?
So I tried again, and I left it out front, not in the car and within 45 rockin minutes I got this.
I had to adjust it, I laid it flatter to try to get some drips, but again, might as well be walking on the sun.
So the moral of the story is this. If you want a drippy cool version of this I have seen people use blow dryers, and someone said they ran the crayons through a hot glue gun, maybe a heat gun of some sort, but if you are relying on the sun, he will take it all, and he will take it fast. I still like them and considering I bought the 24 pack of crayons X 4 at .40 a pop and the canvas was two for about 8 at wal- mart, it's a fun little project and I am excited to have it up in the boys room. Crayons are on sale now so go if you want to try it out!
Try this on for size, the one in the link sold on etsy for around $70. Really? Considering the materials cost about $6 I am happy with my versions. :)
Sorry about my pics, there are not a whole lot of great places to get pictures at Grandma's it's kind of a cave, which, with the heat I am OK with.



8 comments:
oh kelly. you totally had me laughing. i love how you word things. haha you're the bestest. wonder who thought that up! im amazed at people creativity.
I think I might do this tomorrow!!!
You were feeling energetic, weren't you? I thought it looked pretty cool and I loved your post and pictures. It had me laughing for sure.
Thanks guys. If I am honest the science fair project was mine, and I think I picked it because it sounded easy and it was something and then I could get the assignment over with. How is that for motivation and ingenuity? Rachel, if you do it, I would check on it in 5 to 10 minute increments and I would not stand it up too tall if you want more crayon on your canvas, if the vaporized look is what you crave set it up and let er rip. You will want to put something like a plastic sack behind the picture if you are leaning it against anything that you don't want to be rainbow beautiful when you are done, it drips off the top to the back and you can imagine the puddle at the bottom. Grandma's house is rainbow spotted at the moment. oops. O_o
I love your artistic adventures! Now I wanna try it out!
I like your version BETTER - it's so color-wonderful!
Yup. I'm with Stacey. Yours are what the other people WISH they could have ended up with but couldn't.
Maybe I'll let the kids make smaller ones on their own. Cute & easy... but wait - I'm not in AZ anymore! :(
oven???
If it's warm I think it would still work Tanya, it just wouldn't be in 45 minutes. :) Maybe your car could help you in your situation depending on how hot it is. If I could do it over again in the car, I would've put a plastic covered pan or something under it, and you will want plastic or something behind where it leans because it melts off of the back and onto whatever it's leaning on.
Post a Comment