Saturday, December 6, 2008

The destruction of sleeves...

My family and I are all going on a cruise in January. It is customary to wear a formal one of the nights on the boat. I suppose we do not have to partake in this tradition but of course it sounds like fun to me. It's rare these days that you get the chance to dress up and go out.
Which leaves me with the question of sleeves. I find that sleeves on a formal ruin it. Suddenly I am the mother of the bride and that is not cool. I come to you for ideas and input. I looooooooooove this As far as dresses with sleeves go it's pretty neat. I know $200 is not the worst thing in the world but try telling that to the hubby. So, I was also looking at This little number, but with a wider belt and I would have to wear some kind of bolero or something over it. Add some killer shoes and some bling and it may pass as formal. I, however, have very little experience with formal. I like this one but I lean toward the vintage vibe if you hadn't noticed. Again, not as formal as one would like but I do like it quite a bit.
I just want to be pretty, I lean toward the purple because it's beautiful and workable and I have been wanting to do a super cool photo shoot with the cousins out in the desert or something in a formal and it would be awesome. Talk me out of this tree guys and give me more ideas/options if you can, I am not willowy so maybe the purple dress is just me dreaming I had a different body again.

EDIT: And my mom just called and told me not to worry about it, just wear what I would wear to church. That kind of stinks. It would be nice to dress up and feel pretty. :(

7 comments:

Lolo said...

I like the purple one but I really really like the last two they are so cute and you would be so cute in them, it depends on what type of "dress up" you want to do but I can totally see you in the last two~ drop dead gorgeous! We need to for sure do the glamour in the desert shoot, LOL! Im all over it!

Kelly said...

Well if I go vintage maybe we can talk my dad into letting us use the Corvette and take pictures in the desert with the cool old car. That would be fun!

Wendy Hansen said...

Wow, I think all of those dresses are so cute. The purple one is definitely the most formal, but all would look FABULOUS on you. I faced the same dilemna in April when I went on mine and used your same words. I don't want sleeveless but I'm not ready to be mother of the bride, there is NOTHING in between it seems. And your mom is right, I finally found something, and there were other people very dressed up, but there were a lot of church clothes too, so certainly don't stress about it.

I really do love the vintage looking ones and with your cute hair and some red lipstick! Yowza!!!

Katie said...

I think it is SO fun that your family is going!! I would love to be going on a cruise :)

Rich and I did have an opporuntity to go on a cruise about 4 years ago and your mom is right. Sunday dress will be formal enough. There were pleanty that wore pants to be formal.

Have so much fun! I can't wait to hear about it and see pictures!!!

Jill Ison said...

ok that purple one wasn't $200 it was $117. Did I read that wrong? Anyway I like dress on link #3 the best. but they were all super cute. Seriously this is a good excuse to buy a new dress and what fun is a new dress if you can't wear it again?? Buy an awesomely cute dress you can wear to church and then you can me our model! Did you look at anthropologie?

Kelly said...

Oh I should look there too. The purple dress sold out now that it's on sale, but I am starting to think maybe I should just use it as an excuse to get an awesome vintag-y dress.

Hansen Five said...

Your cruise sounds so nice. I am jealous!